19 Conversation Tips for Growing Your Team
Great leaders and managers use Growth minded language to guide and motivate their staff.
CFCD’s blog ‘Leading with a Growth Mindset for Business Impact’ explored the differences between a Growth and a Fixed Mindset and the associated benefits and business impact.
In this follow up post, here are some tips on growth language you can use when guiding and coaching your team:
When employee/s are making progress:
- I can see a difference in this project compared to six months ago. You have really grown (in these areas).
- I see how effectively you using these strategies/tools/concepts/etc. Keep it up!
- You have been working on this for a while and you didn’t give up. Well done!
- Your hard work is clearly evident in your work.
When employees have succeeded:
- I am impressed with the amount of effort you have put into this____.
- Look how far you have come with this project. I know you had some challenges along the way. All your hard work has paid off. Well done!
- What have your learned about yourself and your success with this project?
- I can see you really enjoyed using your strengths on this project.
When employees are looking for a challenge:
- What do you want to learn more about in the next 6 to 12 months?
- How can we best utilise your strengths on this project?
- Who can support you as you are leaning about X?
- How can I support you?
When employees are struggling and need help:
- You feel you are not progressing as quickly as you would like. How can you look at this as a learning opportunity?
- Would it help you if we break the project down into more manageable tasks given the amount of work on your plate?
- Talk me through your thinking on this project/decision? What could you do differently next time?
- Look at mistakes as great learning opportunities.
- You may think you are struggling with the project; however, I do see you growing in these areas.
- Instead of focusing on what you are not/haven’t achieved; reflect on how far you have come.
- Your hard work will pay off.
If you found these articles useful, we recommend the following CFCD services which may be of interest to you: